Friday, September 20, 2013

So, I dropped my phone.

Not only did I drop my phone.
But I dropped it in a toilet.

I'd rather stay away from specifics regarding the event (something to do with sitting there watching Taylor Swift videos?), but I will admit to immediately fishing it out (ugh, ugh, ugh). Because, I mean, what else do you do in that situation? Also of note, it's amazing how your reflexes become Spider-Man-esque when you drop your phone into water. That thing was out of there in like .02 seconds.
Apparently, even that little dip in the toilet was enough to fry it for good. Ah, the joys of fragile phones, am I right?

So, I did what all smart people do, I put it in rice. And, like any impatient person, I tried turning it back on a couple times before finally giving up. So, yeah, that probably made matters worse, but what can ya do?!

I called my pops, because I'm apparently incapable of doing anything without his help, and the first words out of my mouth were "DAD I DROPPED MY PHONE." Mind you, I was calling his cell from an odd number he wouldn't recognize, so he probably was like, "who the h is this crazy person calling me?!" Alas, being the great father he is, he immediately ordered me a new phone, we selected overnight shipping, and all was well.
I am the most anal person when it comes to expecting packages. You can bet I sign up for play-by-play email notifications to track my package, and this is no exception. WELL, you can imagine my absolute horror when I woke up to see that the status of my new phone was ON BACK ORDER.
My dad took an hour out of his day to go to the AT&T store to only be told that, yes, it really is on back order and it wouldn't ship until mid next week. This whole time, I'm just like, "YO GUYS. I am getting married in 8 days, AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO THIS."
Yada, yada, yada, hours pass, and I check the status again. IT SHIPPED. I did a happy dance and now it *should* be here by tomorrow evening.

I stressed out more than I should have. I put a lot of pressure on my dad to just go to the store and buy me a new phone and let the one we order go to my mom, since she's been wanting a new phone. Well, dad does the best he can, but he just doesn't have time to do that kind of silly stuff when I already have a phone being shipped to my house.
But I have this thing going on called Wedding Brain. It makes me crazy, and it makes me act stupid. I totally get the Bridezilla phenomenon now: wedding brain just takes over and makes you say the stupidest things when you don't get your way! So when I dropped my phone in the toilet (my fault), what do I do? I call my dad and demand he fix it because I'm getting married and I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS.
 Hello, my name is Haley the Bridezilla, nice to meet you.

But really, this was a blessing in disguise. (You just knew I was going to throw that one at you, right? Right?)
Seriously! My boss was the first to mention it - maybe this was God's way of saying, "Haley. You need to take a chill pill and just relax." I've been SO stressed lately, to the point of tears at any mention of the wedding, and really, at any mention of anything. I'm just really. stressed. out. So, with no phone to distract me - I had no phone calls coming in, no texts from my mom about the to-do list (although, that's probably just a fluke thing, since she has an iPhone and could totally iMessage me...). It was nice to not worry about that stuff for one day.

I've been without my phone for a full 24 hours now. By the time I get a new phone this evening, it'll be a full 48 hours. Right now, I'm doing okay (geez, I talk like I'm in rehab or something). It's just nuts how much we depend on those little gadgets! Numerous times during the day, I kept thinking, "I wish I could check Instagram," or "Hmm... I wish I could read my feed on BlogLovin." And at one point, my boss and I left for grocery shopping, and when I got back and checked iMessages on my MacBook (okay, so I admit - I wasn't completely disconnected, since I have texting capabilities on my laptop. But still!), I had like 5 messages from my dad and Blake asking me to call my dad asap. See, dad? I need a phone, don't I?!
The break has been nice (ask me tomorrow when it's been more than one day), and it's really made me take a good hard look at how much I actually use my phone. (And how much my phone interferes with my work day. Even at one point yesterday evening, one of my girls stopped and asked me to take her picture with my phone. I had to explain to her that I didn't have one, to which she replied, "but you always have your phone!" Um, reality check much?!)

So here's to not being so attached to something so silly. There's much better things going on in real life, than what's happening on my phone screen.

Also. We'll see how I feel about attachment to a piece of technology when I have a brand new phone. I'm just going to be honest with you, a new phone is going to be amazing. Because after taking a bathroom break to the tune of $106, you really enjoy that brand new phone. And take it no where near a bathroom.

PS. I have really missed using emojis. I can't wait for emojis.
PPS. I was in the process of making room on my phone to download the new update when it went for a little swim. So let's just not talk about the new changes, alright?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, sorry about what happened to your phone. It sure ended its life in a crappy way. Well, at least your awesome dad always has a back-up plan. Guess this means you're not watching Taylor Swift videos in the toilet anymore. Take care!

    Clara Brooks @ Telco World

    ReplyDelete