Monday, April 1, 2013

The Bible and a few thoughts.

I've been watching the History Channel miniseries The Bible. It's amazing how you can read the stories in the Bible, but when you watch it, and really pay attention, it takes on a whole new meaning and it really registers in you what everything was really about. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching it and was pretty sad to see it come to an end!
Last night was the final episode, which dealt with Jesus's death and resurrection (of course the episode aired on Easter Sunday!). The story of Saul really spoke to me, more so than it ever did while reading it.
Saul was someone who persecuted Jesus's followers, and after a revelation by Christ, he reformed his ways and was chosen by God to teach His ways. We all know the story, Saul became Paul, and his life was transformed. A part of the dialogue really stuck out to me, though:

"I did what I did because I was certain I was right. That I knew what God wanted... as you are certain now. But then Jesus came to me. Not in righteous anger or in judgement but in love. And without love we are nothing." 

How many times do we speak the words and passages in the Bible for our own good, for our own "agenda," and yet - we are completely wrong. Saul persecuted the followers of Jesus because he thought his interpretations of the Scriptures were correct, but it wasn't until Jesus showed him that he was doing it all wrong, then Saul turned his life around. 
I am guilty of this so many times... I think I know what God wants, I think that I am doing God's work in my life and in others, but simply, I am not. All of us are guilty of this at some point or another. We are in great need of a Savior - so that though we are wrong, and our interpretations of Christ's word and His work are fallible, we can be and will be forgiven. 

Anyway, that was just my perspective from last night's episode. Like I said - I've really enjoyed this miniseries! Although, I will never understand why Noah had a Scottish accent. That is just beyond me.  

ALSO, here is a promo for our next sermon series at High Street


R E S T O R E from High Street on Vimeo.

You should definitely come check it out if you are in the Springfield area! Another good reason, our worship team is doing my new favorite Hillsong song next weekend... ;) 

Thanks for reading!
Haley 

2 comments:

  1. Love that bit of dialogue. It's comforting, especially after being verbally slammed on Facebook by an uncle following my blog post on marriage equality. Nothing like a fellow Christian telling you you have issues with God, right? :) But hey, If Paul can turn it around.....

    I haven't kept up with that series, but I've heard good things. Maybe I'll get ahold of a copy when it comes out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have seen the series! We had our cable cut off a while back. I hope to get it on DVD!

    I love Paul's story- how God can take someone and totally change them in a moment. How He can change their name- the very essence of who they are- and put them on a path toward destiny far greater than they ever imagined! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete