Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Voting for the first time + Obama has some great graphic designers on his side

Today I got to vote in a presidential election for the very first time. I had no idea that I would ever be so thankful to women I don't even know that fought long and hard nearly 100 years ago for this privilege. I super did not take it lightly, which is why I did my research this year (for the first time ever I cared about politics!). I started realizing that, hey, the president sort of does have a lot to do with how I live my life. My college career could be stopped in its tracks if the 'wrong' person gets into that office. My best friend could be denied marriage to the person he loves. I could have zero control over whether or not I can obtain birth control, even as a married woman (and THAT thought really scares me). So I did my research, I thought long and hard, prayed about it, thought some more, and made a decision today that not only reflected my personal beliefs, but what is right for our country. I am thankful today that I am able to voice my opinion, and vote for the things that I believe in. 

I thought that in honor of election season finally ending, I would post some of my favorite (perfectly Instagram sized) graphics from Obama's campaign (I was going to post some from Romney/Ryan as well... but, I can't lie... their graphic designers just didn't get the job done this go around. Maybe next time!).

 Enjoy your Tuesday!
And make sure to vote, if you can slash haven't already!

7 comments:

  1. I noticed the same about Obama's graphic designer! He also has a great speech writer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND his wife is hot! What a great team he has behind him. ;)

      Delete
  2. His speech writer is not so much older than we are, not? Amazing!
    Although I'm German, I'm relieved that Obama has 4 more years to hopefully reach a lot more of his goals. 4 years in presidency is such a short time.
    Also, I just heard a presentation about the Republican politicians who wanted to interfere with birth control - shocker! Everyone would think that this is something we are through with!

    Go Obama! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 4 years is such a short amount of time! Romney kept saying "you had your 4 years!" Yet he himself says that he can turn around the economy in no less than 8-10 years. And, yeah.. you'd think women's rights would no longer be a topic of discussion. This is 2012 for crying out loud!

      Delete
  3. I'm not really sure how you can claim to be a Christian (not doubting you are) but vote for someone who supports things that are clearly against God's word. You have supported gay marriage (I get it, your best friends gay) and you have supported abortion. Along with many other things. I get his whole tactic on getting us out of debt and needing more than 4 years. That takes time. But I'm not sure how you can lower yourself to such a level to support such horrible actions. Sorry, I just am not willing to alter my beliefs for a few funny dance moves, or a few dry speeches on change that never came. I would genuinely like to know your reasoning, and opinions since I saw you said you have educated yourself his year. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet again, appreciate your comment. I strongly, strongly believe in the separation of church and state. I don't feel that because I follow a certain belief system that I have to vote for someone who believes the same. What is best for me and my Church is not what's best for the country. My eyes have opened these last few years that not everyone subscribes to my beliefs, and that's totally cool with me. I'm not going to force it on anyone - and that means that I'm going to vote for someone who supports everyone. I myself would never choose abortion, but I have zero right to tell someone else that they cannot get one. I refuse to be that person that judges and prevents one from living their life. They can take that up with God when the time comes. That's my reasoning, take it or leave it. I know that you may feel like I am contradicting myself, but this was just how I was raised. My parents have taught me from the beginning that my personal religious beliefs do not fit everyone and we should not force it on others, that includes gay rights and abortion laws.

      Delete
    2. Morals should be morals though, don't you think? Would you confidently stand in front of your church and tell them you are willing to set aside what the bible clearly states, just because you grew up being taught the state and church shoul be seperate? We are all taught things growing up, but there has to be a moment in your life when you have to ask yourself if that's what you believe to be right, or if you believe it because that's all you've been taught. It's the same concept with salvation. And if you have, I'm still unsure of how you can be so wishy washy. Yes, that person has to deal with God's judgement, but that doesn't mean you have to sit there and say it's okay to kill his child. See what I mean?
      You don't have to be forceful to make an impact.

      I'm not sure how you can play both sides, and believe in something, and you don't have to force that on people but at least you could stand up for it, right?

      I guess I am just unsure how one can rid of their beliefs so easily. Good things are what this country needs, not more rights, so we can be even more spoiled then we were before. It seems we bend over backwards in our beliefs just to please everyone.

      I get what you believe. I'm just trying to understand how. I hope in all of your beliefs and votes that God would be at the center, and that you won't let worldy government sway him out of there. I have nothing further to say.

      Delete